RATIONALE OF THE CENTER
With the development of the times, connection between higher education and social development becomes increasingly closer, and universities and the cities or provinces where they are located play an exceptional role in promoting development of the cities or the province. For this, Samar State University plays an integral role in the development of Samar province, in particular and the country, in general. Thus, it is an important approach to depend on university resources to realize scientific development to enhance provincial competitiveness. The gigantic task of the University to help alleviate the condition of Samareños requires its faculty, staff and students’ engagement in researches and practices that address culture and social issues for solutions to some of the most pressing and immediate concerns of Samar. In 2000, when Samar State Polytechnic College was preparing for its Universityhood, it formulated a roadmap that by year 2011-2015, three Research Centers will be established- one of which is Samar Socio-Cultural Research and Development Center. The said Center was formally approved per BOR Resolution No. 28, series 2012 which was later named as Research Center for Culture & Social Issues by BOR Resolution No. 15, series 2016.
To engage in researches and practices addressing culture and social issues for solutions to some of the most pressing and immediate concerns of society.
To equip faculty, staff, and students with the cultural and social issues competencies necessary to function at their best in their intellectual, leadership and pedagogical practices so that the University can provide the highest quality of service to the locality in particular and the global community in general.
To actively support the sustainable agro-fishery industry and socio-economic growth of the Province of Samar, Region 8 and the Philippines through generation and commercialization of information and technology and partnership with the different sectors of development.
- Improve research quality and impact.
- Capacitate faculty, staff and students along research focusing on culture and issues for solutions to some of the most pressing and immediate concerns of society.
- Identify, develop and implement strategically important research partnerships.
- Increase cross-disciplinary research collaborations.
- Generate income from research endeavour.
- Document history, legacy and culture of Samar.
- Disseminate, inform policy-makers and make recommendations based on research findings in connection with issues facing Samar in particular.
- Establishment of linkages with stakeholders
- Strengthening cooperation with LGUs and Peoples Organization.
- Adoption of multi-disciplinary approach in conducting research.
- Optimization human resource development.
- Provision of support to researcher/s’ efforts.
- Creating an atmosphere conducive to research.
- Provision of educational tours and field trips.
- Dissemination/presentation/publication of research outputs.
- Development, publication and circulation of a research journal.
Research Priority Programs
EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION ISSUES
- The Role of Chartered Schools in the Education Reform
- Leadership in Social– Change Organizations
- Teaching and Learning Mathematics, Social Science and other Disciplines
- The Learning Sciences as an Interdisciplinary endeavour
- Entrepreneurship in Education
- Technology in Learning and Learning about Technology
- Communication Media Studies as Social Science
- Communication as a Social Science, Information and Technologies, The Social Web
- The Internet in its Social Context, Human-Computer Interaction, Literacies as Social Learning Experiences.
SAMAR CULTURE AND ARTS
- Customs and Traditions
- Visual Arts
POVERTY ISSUES IN SAMAR ISLAND
- Politics and Governance. This strand will encourage research outputs that investigate governance and the socio–economic, cultural and demographic condition of Samareños.
- Cultural Issues This will undertake innovative interdisciplinary field of research and teaching that investigates the ways in which “culture” creates and transforms individual experiences, everyday life, social relations and power of Samareños.
- Educational Management and Policies This strand will investigate how existing and previous educational management and policies has contributed to the kind of Province we now have and the kind of people we have become. It investigates deeply the quality of graduates Higher Education Institutions in the province have turned-over for employment, learning outcomes of graduates in licensure examinations and/or competencies and results of national achievement tests in the basic education. It looks into the different facets of learning environment and other related concern and educational issues.
- Geography, Environment and Resources This strand will explore how environment and resources have been capitalized and managed. Disaster risk management, climate change mitigation and adaptation studies are also included in this strand.
- Peace and Order This field will identify and analyze peace and order condition of the island in the past that immensely contributed to its present condition.
- Public Health This will disseminate knowledge in the public health field in order to improve efficacy,
- effectiveness and efficiency of public health interventions to improve public health outcomes of populations is the goal of this strand.
- Industry and Economy This will generate studies that look into the joys, hardships, struggles and challenges of fishers and farmers of the island through the years.
SHERRIE ANN CANANUA-LABID
Director, Research Center for Culture and Social Issues
Call or Text:
(055) 251- 3424
+63-917– 547– 0242